Friday, September 23, 2011

Short Stories

I am in LOVE with the short story.  Good authors {Kurt Vonnegut and F. Scott Fitzgerald to name a few) can  cram so much brilliance and wit, yet deep meaning and purpose, into just a few pages.  I do not claim to be witty or brilliant, but I was inspired to try a short story myself (best read on a rainy day).  My hope is only that it makes you smile.  Let me know if it did!

The Chinese Don't Take Discover

   "Well, what now?" he asked, looking out the window.  She, in turn, gazed at him expectantly.  "I'm not made of brilliant ideas, you know," he turned towards her, "we're in this together.  Any opinion you have is just as valid as mine."
   She let a sigh escape her, from somewhere deep within.  It walked out of her slowly like an old woman climbing down stairs.  Black silk rustled as she shivered.  "Well, I know you didn't mean for this to happen," she finally posed, almost as a question.  Rain began pecking at the windshield.
   "What do you mean?  You think I planned it this way?  Unbelievable!"
   "No, darling," she put her hand on his arm.  "It's just...a series of consequences I guess."  She gazed past him into the darkness.
  "A series of consequences?  Ha.  That's exactly what I hoped this night wouldn't be."
   "You can't control everything, you know..."
   "Not everything!  When have I ever asked for everything?  Just this one thing...that's all I asked for.  One thing and it's too much."
   "Well, I don't see any more options," she said slowly, trying to calm the tension.
   "Are you suggesting we call it quits?"
   Her eyes looked violent as she gazed into her lap, smoothing her dress over her knees.  "All this for nothing" she whispered.   Then, looking up, "You're giving up?"
  "Well, I can't do this on my own, can I?  I'm sorry.  I tried.  Believe me, I thought I had things figured out.  I wanted to make you happy...us happy."
  "Do you think we're trying to be something we're not?"
   "You tell me."
   "I mean, we would never have done this before, we were perfectly happy."
   "But you said you were bored," he quipped.
   "I know what I said.  I just didn't expect you to go all gallant on me and try to fix everything."
   "Well...did you think I would let you be unhappy."
   "I...I don't know what I thought."
   Silence.  He lay his forehead on the steering wheel.  The rain now fell in thick drops.  Suddenly she laughed.      "It's...it's just those darn Chinese!" she let out between gasps.  "You know what, just because we can't eat at the best restaurant in town doesn't mean we can't have ourselves a grand night out.  Let's just go to King's Diner, like we always do.  A burger actually sounds really good."
   "The diner?  But I really wanted to give you the time of your life....and I know this is your favorite place to eat...anyway, look at what we're wearing."
   "Who cares!  We'll be the best-dressed couple that ever set foot into King's, I bet!"
  He kissed her and laughed.  "All right," he said.  "All this because the Chinese don't take Discover."

No comments:

Post a Comment