Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Rants about "rights"

I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this, but I really don't care.

I read an article on CNN this morning about people's views on a law to be voted on today in Mississippi.  The law essentially says that an embryo is considered "human life" therefore putting an end to abortions and embryonic research, including in-vitro fertilization (because it involves creating multiple embryos, but only implanting one).  They interviewed a Christian family that is upset because their only child was conceived through in-vitro and they would like to continue to grow their family in the same process.  The father is quoted as saying he wants the same rights to have a family as anyone else.

Excuse me?

I was unaware that anyone was given a right, from God or government, to procreate.  I'm pretty sure that infertility is a condition that people have struggled through since most of the history of the world, yet nowhere have I ever heard anyone complain that a "right" has been taken from them.  If you are so desperate to have a child, may I suggest adopting?  For all the embryos you will commit to ice, there is a child who would willingly call your home his.  I bet it would cost less, too.

I understand the pain of not being able to conceive must be insurmountable, but to complain about rights when human life is at stake?  Grrr....

If you want to see the article, here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment